Scaffolding at Welwyn pub destroyed by fire "will remain"

"IT'S there because it's necessary". Those were the words of councillor Mandy Perkins who was referring to the scaffolding surrounding The Wellington pub in Welwyn since it was destroyed by fire. The large scale of the scaffolding – which has seen the cl

"IT'S there because it's necessary".

Those were the words of councillor Mandy Perkins who was referring to the scaffolding surrounding The Wellington pub in Welwyn since it was destroyed by fire.

The large scale of the scaffolding - which has seen the closure of Codicote Road - has brought with it much controversy.

Since the huge blaze, caused by an electrical fault on June 23, traders in High Street have been deeply affected by the road closure - some down by 30 per cent in turnover.


You may also want to watch:


However, Cllr Perkins, who represents Welwyn West, told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times that even though business was suffering, the scaffolding had to remain until the building had been made safe.

She said: "The scaffolding is there because the building is unsafe and I think everybody's safety is paramount.

Most Read

"I feel desperately sorry for the traders as it has an adverse impact on their business.

"But, I would never forgive myself if there is an accident for not having sufficient scaffolding.

"It's there because it's necessary in order to protect residents and visitors to the village."

A Hertfordshire Highways spokesman said they were not in a position to remove the scaffolding as it has been enforced by building regulations from Welwyn Hatfield Council.

He added: "The scaffolding was put in place to provide support for the building by the district council, so Herts Highways would not be in a position to order its removal."

A Welwyn Hatfield Council spokeswoman said: "A council building control officer assessed the building as a dangerous structure.

"For public safety and to protect further damage to the building, the officer instructed engineers to erect scaffolding."

She added: "The scaffolding will remain until the relevant repairs have taken place to make the building structurally safe.

"The owners are liaising with the council's building and development control sections regarding the repairs to this Grade II listed building.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus