Saucepan in microwave causes fire at Hatfield university campus
FIRE crews were called to a blaze at the University of Hertfordshire in the early hours of today (Tuesday) after students cooked a metal saucepan in a microwave.
The fire took hold in a communal kitchen of student flats at the College Lane campus.
Steve Duncan, watch commander at Hatfield Fire Station, said: “Metal saucepans don’t like microwaves, as most people know.
“The microwave was a complete write-off, as well as the pan and whatever was cooking in it.
“The units and whole kitchen was quite heat and smoke damaged, too.”
You may also want to watch:
Three crews, from Hatfield, WGC, and St Albans, attended the blaze, at around midnight.
Students living in the flats had already been evacuated by the time they arrived, and no-one was injured in the incident.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement