Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- Credit: Supplied by Jessica Laycock
Waste has been piling up in the collection shed of flats in Welwyn Garden City, according to the borough council, due to a parked car.
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council is now going to clear the rubbish with their collection service Urbaser after residents complained about the issue at Gaddesden Grove.
A spokesperson for the council said today: "Urbaser is attending this morning to clear the excess waste and then a collection crew will attend and empty the bins.
"The collection crew attended yesterday and reported the bins as inaccessible, due to the excess waste, and Urbaser had planned to get a crew to return to clear it.
"This waste build-up was down to a car being parked in the ‘Keep Clear’ space which stopped the bins from previously being emptied.”
You may also want to watch:
Residents, including Jessica, who provided pictures to the WHT, claim the issue has been ongoing for more than a month.
She said: "This rubbish is from way before Christmas, with many attempts of emails and phone calls to the council.
- 1 Man in his 40s dies after crash between bus and car
- 2 'Cruel joke' played on residents waiting for pothole repairs
- 3 Man creates penis shapes with his running routes to raise money for testicular cancer
- 4 Man faces sentencing after trying to rip face mask off woman in Asda
- 5 How many people have been vaccinated in your neighbourhood?
- 6 Competition winner captures town's untouched beauty spot
- 7 Police pinpoint football clubs after teenagers caught throwing eggs
- 8 Teachers surprised by pupils thanking them for hard work
- 9 Pay-as-you-feel hub set up for food destined for landfill
- 10 Police called after 100 people show up to funeral
"They failed to empty and clear this up, we currently have food everywhere with rubbish flying around.
"I myself witnessed the bin men coming seeing it and not even attempting to empty it, just ignoring the fact it’s there. Meanwhile, it’s getting worse as our block of flats has no other choice but to keep adding to it.
"We have a number of children who live in this block of flats, and this being left like this is disgusting."