Royal Mail set to close Welwyn Garden City delivery office
PLANS to close the Royal Mail’s WGC delivery office and move postal services to Stevenage have been revealed.
Workers at the Bessemer Road site were told this week that they face being relocated, following a review of Royal Mail’s operations in the Home Counties.
The proposals, which the Welwyn Hatfield Times has seen, would see services at the Stevenage Mail Centre switch to Hemel Hempstead, allowing WGC and Hitchin delivery offices to move into the vacated site, and becoming a Mail Processing Unit (MPU).
It would mean both the WGC and Hitchin offices would close, along with offices in Berkhamstead and Kings Langley.
But staff at the WGC office fear it is the people of WGC and the surrounding area who will suffer, with postmen and women having to travel all the way to Stevenage to collect Welwyn Hatfield post, only to travel back again to deliver it.
You may also want to watch:
One worker, who did not want to be named, told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “We’re lucky enough to be keeping our jobs, but for Joe Public it means we will have to go back and forth from Stevenage to WGC.
“We’re one of the only public services left, but I don’t see how this is doing any service to the public.”
- 1 Welwyn Garden City man shares 9.5 stone weight loss journey
- 2 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 3 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 4 Council leader survives no confidence vote
- 5 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 8 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 9 DIY SOS star Billy Byrne set to open returning Codicote Village Day this weekend
- 10 Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'