Royal Mail set to close Welwyn Garden City delivery office
PLANS to close the Royal Mail’s WGC delivery office and move postal services to Stevenage have been revealed.
Workers at the Bessemer Road site were told this week that they face being relocated, following a review of Royal Mail’s operations in the Home Counties.
The proposals, which the Welwyn Hatfield Times has seen, would see services at the Stevenage Mail Centre switch to Hemel Hempstead, allowing WGC and Hitchin delivery offices to move into the vacated site, and becoming a Mail Processing Unit (MPU).
It would mean both the WGC and Hitchin offices would close, along with offices in Berkhamstead and Kings Langley.
But staff at the WGC office fear it is the people of WGC and the surrounding area who will suffer, with postmen and women having to travel all the way to Stevenage to collect Welwyn Hatfield post, only to travel back again to deliver it.
You may also want to watch:
One worker, who did not want to be named, told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “We’re lucky enough to be keeping our jobs, but for Joe Public it means we will have to go back and forth from Stevenage to WGC.
“We’re one of the only public services left, but I don’t see how this is doing any service to the public.”
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Thanks Dad! WHT readers send 2,500 Father's Day messages
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM