Car meets halted at Hatfield Tesco after new COVID-19 large gathering laws
- Credit: Archant
After new COVID-19 laws were introduced by the government outlawing large gatherings, Royal Herts Statics has taken the decision to close meets at Hatfield Tesco.
The group, which took the decision citing the lack of people social distancing at a recent Tesco meet on Sunday, is hopeful it will be back to holding safe car enthusiast meetings in the future.
One of the organisers told the WHT: “So due to current COVID-19 laws, regarding only groups of six being allowed and the tougher fines on organisers for non-COVID secure events we have temporarily postponed all our meets until the regulations are lifted, which allows our club to restart the meets again. So this is only temporary until it’s safe to continue.”
Police also attended the Sunday meet after speeding concerns by the junction for the A1(M) and a Section 35 dispersal order was put in place with all attendees leaving the area by about 10.45pm.
Officers closely monitor any reports or intelligence regarding car meets and always try to engage with the organisers where possible. Where resources allow, officers may attend such events, but it is the responsibility of the organisers to provide marshals if required. If road offences are reported, then proportionate action will always be taken.
You may also want to watch:
The Royal Herts Statics meets regularly at Hatfield Tesco, normally in a safe and socially-distanced way.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 3 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 4 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 9 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 10 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'