Rose festival at Hatfield House
The coming weekend sees a must for garden lovers with the annual rose festival and flower show at stately Knebworth Park
THE Rose Weekend takes its name from the weekend in mid-summer when the roses and summer flowers at Hatfield House are usually in full bloom.
The accompanying garden show has grown to become one of the most popular in the region and this year’s event will be held in the delightful West Garden.
It take place on June 19 and 20.
Staff from Codicote Garden Centre, Hitchin Garden Centre, Stevenage Garden Centre and Harkness Roses will be attending The Hatfield House Rose Weekend and Summer Garden Show to give gardening advice to visitors.
You may also want to watch:
Don Ellwood, manager of Codicote Garden Centre, on the High Street, said: “We will be providing tips and promoting the recently opened Harkness Rose Centre at Hitchin Garden Centre.
“Our plant experts will be on hand throughout the weekend and Philip Harkness from Harkness Roses will be joining us on both days to chat to members of the public.”
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
Pictured is Chris Swales, manager of Hitchin Garden Centre, in Cambridge Road, said: “We’re delighted to be joining our sister garden centres at this event especially as we now have the Rose Centre within Hitchin Garden Centre.
A spokeswoman for Hatfield House said: “It’s also a a great treat for dad, or grandad, this Father’s Day. What better than a relaxing day out in the wonderful setting of Hatfield House.
“There is plenty to keep even the most discerning dad happy, garden tools to try out, books, unusual plants and of course delicious afternoon teas with home made cakes.
Waitrose, in WGC and other top quality food exhibitors will be at the show.
Visitors can also meet Hertfordshire Bee Keepers and enjoy music in the garden from Stevenage Chorus.
The Summer Living Pavilion has a wide choice of jewellery, home interiors, gorgeous bags and accessories and everything for your summer wardrobe.
Hatfield House will be decorated with roses and summer flowers so visitors should be prepared for a wave of delicious sound and scent as you go into the house.
Talented botanical artist, Anna Knights, will be painting in the Long Gallery during the weekend and Adam Pallister, a local organ scholar will be playing the house organ.
The National Society of Flower Arrangers will be holding their Summer Floral Competition with demonstrations and talks from experts during the weekend.