Roll-up for Sumo Steeplechase in Welwyn Garden City
THE sight of 50 obese wrestlers hurtling across an assault course is not something you would normally expect at a gym!
However, that is exactly what you will see in WGC at an upcoming charity event, which you can get involved in.
The first ever Sumo Steeplechase, organised to raise funds for the North Herts branch of the YMCA, will involve residents donning a sumo wrestling costume and tackling an array of indoor challenges including slalom, jumping hurdles and a one-kilometre race at the Gosling Sports Park.
Michelle Gray, YMCA’s head of fundraising and marketing, came up with the “short-notice idea” while thinking up plans for an original fundraiser.
She said: “It should be a fantastic event which people can get involved with by participating or coming along to cheer our sumos on.
You may also want to watch:
“It should be really great fun and the sumo suits should make for madness and mayhem!”
Participants must be aged at least 14, but there is no upper limit.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 4 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 5 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 6 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 7 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 10 Foundation makes much-needed toy donation to Welwyn Garden City school
A registration fee of �20 is required which includes the outfit and refreshments – a minimum of �100 can be raised.
All the fun will bounce into action on Sunday, November 14 at noon.
Due to the size of the Stanborough Road sports centre’s hall, there’s only room for 50 participants so register as soon as possible via Michelle on 01707 290717 or firstname.lastname@example.org