Rodent could have caused Welwyn Hatfield Council computer failure
A HUNGRY rodent is believed to have caused a massive telephone and computer failure at Welwyn Hatfield Council, that left staff unable to deal with residents’ enquiries for an entire day.
Workers at the council’s contact centre in Campus East were left unable to answer calls from residents for several hours on Friday morning, when a fibre optic cable was somehow severed nearby.
The phones were eventually fixed, but computer servers remained down for the rest of the day, leaving staff still unable to answer queries from callers.
A council spokeswoman said it was not clear what caused the failure, although BT workers who assessed the problem said it could have been a rodent gnawing through a fibre optic cable in College Way, next to the council office.
But it wasn’t all bad news for some staff, who decided to work from home or took flexitime to start their weekend early.
You may also want to watch:
The problem was eventually resolved on Friday afternoon, after the council offices had closed.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Thanks Dad! WHT readers send 2,500 Father's Day messages
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM