Residents taken on recycling tour
RESIDENTS were given the opportunity to learn more about what happens to their rubbish during a visit to a composting facility near Potters Bar.
Members of Hertsmere’s Street Scene Forum were given a tour of Agrivert’s In-Vessel composting operation at Redwell Wood Farm in South Mimms to see how the borough’s green waste is recycled.
The group also visited the Waterdale transfer station near Watford, where waste that cannot be reused is compacted before being sent to landfill.
The visits, organised by Hertsmere Borough Council, were then discussed at a meeting of the forum held last Monday.
Cllr Jean Heywood, environment portfolio holder, said: “It’s great to show people what happens to their waste and recycling after they put it out for collection.
You may also want to watch:
“The processes are fascinating and help explain why we have to collect the different items in the way we do.
“I’m sure the group found the visits interesting.”
- 1 Hertsmere MP Oliver Dowden appointed Tory co-chairman but loses secretary role
- 2 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 18 Insulate Britain protesters arrested at M25 and A1 demonstrations
- 5 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 6 M25 by South Mimms blocked by climate protesters
- 7 Historic Green Belt site under threat
- 8 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 9 Boy hit by car during Hatfield altercation
- 10 Hertsmere: 6,000 home development included in Local Plan
Before Agrivert opened its plant in South Mimms, Hertsmere’s green waste, which includes garden waste, food waste and cardboard, went to Woodhurst in Cambridgeshire.
At this new facility, the waste is shredded and composted by a process known as aerobic digestion.
The compost produced is then used on farmland across Hertfordshire.
For more information about recycling or the Street Scene Forum, call 020 8207 7480 or email email@example.com