Residents gear up for World Cup-themed village day
THE World Cup isn’t the only great spectacle taking place this month.
Next Saturday, June 19, the annual Brookmans Park Village Day takes place, promising a feast of football, fun and food – plus a few celebrity faces.
The village day – now in its 51st year – has been themed “World United” in tribute to the World Cup being held in South Africa, and attractions will include five-a-side football, walk-on-water hamster balls, arts and crafts stalls and food and drink.
As usual, a fancy dress parade will kick off proceedings, starting at the village green and ending at Brookmans Park School in Bradmore Way for 1pm.
This year, the parade will be led by actress Amanda Abbington, star of TV shows Married Single Other and After You’ve Gone, and long-term partner of The Office star Martin Freeman.
You may also want to watch:
Amanda said: “I am delighted to be helping the school this year. It’s great to be part of the celebrations and to be leading the children to their annual village day.
Amanda will be taking over as head of the parade from ex-Spurs and England footballer Gary Mabbutt, who will be in South Africa as an official ambassador.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Four councillors elected to South Mimms Parish Council
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
Before he flew out to the Rainbow Nation, Gary visited Brookmans Park School to officially launch the World United theme.
“I’m sorry I won’t be able to attend Village Day this year, but I do very much hope you all have a great day out and enjoy both the football and the World United theme,” he said.
Entrance to Brookmans Park Village Day costs �1 for adults and 50p for children.