Resident describes ‘massive’ pallet yard fire
THESE were the scenes in a Times Territory village last week, as a “massive” fire ripped through a pallet yard.
Welham Green resident Ruth Robertson captured these spectacular scenes of a blaze that took hold of UK Industrial Pallets, in Travellers Lane, on Friday night.
Firefighters fought through the night as the fire spread across the site and into a nearby scrapyard, rupturing gas cyclinders and forcing Welham Green train station to close for around four hours.
Nobody was injured in the fire, but the flames destroyed a large amount of pallets and a fork lift truck.
Ruth, from Marshmoor lane, said: “We watched most of the fire. It was a massive, great big fire. We’ve got quite a large fence and you could see the flames over the top of it.
You may also want to watch:
“You could feel the heat even from across the railway tracks. There was lots of debris and ash falling from the sky, which was quite pretty but quite scary at the same time.”
An investigation into what started the fire is still ongoing.
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 Meet the man driving a tractor 270 miles from Cornwall to Codicote
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 July 19: Extended restrictions will bring 'big costs' to our businesses
- 6 Would you quit drinking and smoking?
- 7 Businesses react as relaxation of Covid restrictions delayed to July 19
- 8 100 not out for centenarian Gladys
- 9 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 10 Getting wild at Panshanger Park with Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust
To see Ruth’s pictures of the fire, click on the gallery above.