Resident describes ‘massive’ pallet yard fire
THESE were the scenes in a Times Territory village last week, as a “massive” fire ripped through a pallet yard.
Welham Green resident Ruth Robertson captured these spectacular scenes of a blaze that took hold of UK Industrial Pallets, in Travellers Lane, on Friday night.
Firefighters fought through the night as the fire spread across the site and into a nearby scrapyard, rupturing gas cyclinders and forcing Welham Green train station to close for around four hours.
Nobody was injured in the fire, but the flames destroyed a large amount of pallets and a fork lift truck.
Ruth, from Marshmoor lane, said: “We watched most of the fire. It was a massive, great big fire. We’ve got quite a large fence and you could see the flames over the top of it.
You may also want to watch:
“You could feel the heat even from across the railway tracks. There was lots of debris and ash falling from the sky, which was quite pretty but quite scary at the same time.”
An investigation into what started the fire is still ongoing.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 7 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
To see Ruth’s pictures of the fire, click on the gallery above.