Red tape threat to OAPs' Christmas lunch
CHRISTMAS Day lunch for dozens of elderly people in Welwyn Hatfield could be cancelled this year – because of Government red tape. The Mixed Group has provided a festive dinner for thousands of pensioners for nearly 35 years. But that is under threat by n
CHRISTMAS Day lunch for dozens of elderly people in Welwyn Hatfield could be cancelled this year - because of Government red tape.
The Mixed Group has provided a festive dinner for thousands of pensioners for nearly 35 years.
But that is under threat by new bureaucratic controls set to be introduced in October.
The new legislation will require anyone working or volunteering with children or vulnerable adults to face a criminal record check.
You may also want to watch:
The checks cost �64 a time - something the WGC charity simply could not afford.
Sean Cox, who runs The Mixed Group, said: "There is no way the trustees and I could CRB check all our volunteers, let alone fund it."
- 1 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 2 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 3 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 4 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 5 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Have you seen this wanted man?
* See this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times for further reaction.