QE2 Ward reopened

PUBLISHED: 13:22 16 January 2008 | UPDATED: 21:10 26 October 2009

A WARD at the QE2 Hospital which had been closed due to the winter vomiting bug has reopened to new admissions. The 29-bed ward was shut on Wednesday last week following several suspected cases of gastroenteritis caused by the Norovirus. The move has been

A WARD at the QE2 Hospital which had been closed due to the winter vomiting bug has reopened to new admissions.

The 29-bed ward was shut on Wednesday last week following several suspected cases of gastroenteritis caused by the Norovirus.

The move has been made as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of the infection elsewhere in the hospital, and to ensure the affected ward returns to normal operation as quickly as possible.

And a hospital spokesman today (Wednesday) told the WHT everything was back to normal at the ward.

Noel Scanlon, director of infection prevention and control at the East and North Herts NHS Trust, had earlier said new patients would not be admitted until 48 hours after the last confirmed patient had recovered from the infection.

* Norovirus is a common virus that causes infections which are most prevalent at this time of year.

Typically they cause severe vomiting and diarrhoea for a short period in those affected, usually over one to two days.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists