Punter from Welwyn Garden City scoops �200k on iPhone bet
A PUNTER from WGC was ‘Appy’ after he scooped �203,000 using an iPhone App, becoming the biggest-ever winner with a bet placed on the gadget.
Marketing consultant Roy Alexander bet �17.20 on a multiple selection of five races.
Lucky Roy, 48, used his Paddy Power iPhone App – and stuck the wager on just a minute before the start of the first race – the 2.25 at Newmarket where Fury romped home at 8/1.
The payout makes Roy the biggest ever winner via an iPhone App bet - plus the first to hit a six-figure sum.
Roy had two slices of luck on October 2, which led to him landing the whopping �203,732.95 windfall.
You may also want to watch:
He used an introductory �10 free bet from Paddy Power as part of his stake money - and his 81-year-old dad Viv chose the final selection.
The 4.50 at Newmarket saw 11/2 shot Carnaby Street getting the nod after a nerve-racking wait on a photo finish.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 7 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 8 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
Roy, who placed a series of 10p each-way roll-up bets, said: “It’s great to become a small part of betting history by being the first six figure winner on an App bet. And winning with ten pounds of Paddy Power’s own money just made it all the sweeter!”
He added: “I switched to Paddy Power specifically so I could use their iPhone App.
“It’s now the only way I bet as it means I can get my bet on wherever I am and no longer have to worry about a traffic jam or any other delay preventing me from getting to a shop or computer before a race starts or a match kicks off.”
A Paddy Power spokesman said: “Winning 200 grand is a good enough reason for celebration in anyone’s book, but when that’s done with the help of a �10 free bet from us then all I can do is give Roy my warmest round of App-lause for an inspired bet.”
Roy now plans to go on an exotic holiday and pay off his mortgage with his monster winnings.
But his Dad Viv hasn’t been forgotten either and he’ll be getting a new car.