Punk Chef stirs up deaf pupils’ cooking skills
- Credit: Paul Whyatt
Deaf school pupils were put through their culinary paces as cooking superstar the Punk Chef paid a visit.
Scott Garthwaite, AKA the Punk Chef, gave cooking lessons to youngsters from Stevenage’s Phoenix Group for Deaf Children at Knightsfield School in Welwyn Garden City yesterday.
Pupils from preschool age up to teens got stuck in, cooking pan-fried herby potatoes with goat’s cheese, kale, egg and tomato.
For pudding they whipped up some pear muffins with a caramel glaze.
The event was organised at Knightsfield School for the Deaf in Welwyn Garden City as part of the run-up to national Vegetarian Week between May 14 and May 20.
You may also want to watch:
The Punk Chef, who has been deaf since the age of two, uses social media to broadcast his TV cooking series in British Sign Language.
He has said that he aims to show the deaf community how easy it is to make simple and tasty meals, and that their disability should not be seen as a barrier to learning a new skill.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 5 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 7 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 8 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
The Phoenix Group’s director Jane Shann said that the event was a great example of how the charity encourages deaf young people to be more independent.
She said: “Having a deaf role model inspiring deaf young people has been a brilliant experience for them – and the food was really tasty too!”
The Stevenage-based Phoenix Group for Deaf Children supports deaf children, young people and their families throughout Hertfordshire.
For more information, see www.phoenixgroup.org.uk