Public meeting to be held over Hatfield incinerator
A PUBLIC meeting will take place tomorrow (Saturday) to mobilise opposition against plans to build a massive incinerator in Hatfield.
Campaigners opposed to the construction of a waste burner at New Barnfield in Travellers Lane will be convening at the North Mymms Memorial Hall in Station Road, Welham Green.
The meeting has been organised by Hatfield Against Incineration (HAI) – a campaign group formed by residents of both Hatfield and Welham Green.
Speakers will include Tory MP Grant Shapps and parliamentary candidates Mike Hobday (Labour), Paul Zukowskyj (Lib Dem) and Jill Weston (Green).
HAI committee member Cathy Roe said: “The unsuitability of the New Barnfield site for waste treatment of any kind is obvious.
You may also want to watch:
“There would be major health and traffic problems caused by vehicles carrying waste to the site, which is extremely close to a special school, recreation areas, housing, workplaces and wildlife sites with protected species.
“This is in addition to the health problems caused by dangerous particles released from an incinerator itself.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 5 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 8 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 9 Explore Hertford Castle at free open day
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
The meeting – which has the full support of the Welwyn Hatfield Times through its InferNO! campign – starts at 1.30pm and all are welcome.