Public meeting to be held over Hatfield incinerator
A PUBLIC meeting will take place tomorrow (Saturday) to mobilise opposition against plans to build a massive incinerator in Hatfield.
Campaigners opposed to the construction of a waste burner at New Barnfield in Travellers Lane will be convening at the North Mymms Memorial Hall in Station Road, Welham Green.
The meeting has been organised by Hatfield Against Incineration (HAI) – a campaign group formed by residents of both Hatfield and Welham Green.
Speakers will include Tory MP Grant Shapps and parliamentary candidates Mike Hobday (Labour), Paul Zukowskyj (Lib Dem) and Jill Weston (Green).
HAI committee member Cathy Roe said: “The unsuitability of the New Barnfield site for waste treatment of any kind is obvious.
You may also want to watch:
“There would be major health and traffic problems caused by vehicles carrying waste to the site, which is extremely close to a special school, recreation areas, housing, workplaces and wildlife sites with protected species.
“This is in addition to the health problems caused by dangerous particles released from an incinerator itself.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 This week's pick of the movies made in Herts on TV
- 9 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 10 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
The meeting – which has the full support of the Welwyn Hatfield Times through its InferNO! campign – starts at 1.30pm and all are welcome.