Public meeting to be held over Hatfield incinerator
A PUBLIC meeting will take place tomorrow (Saturday) to mobilise opposition against plans to build a massive incinerator in Hatfield.
Campaigners opposed to the construction of a waste burner at New Barnfield in Travellers Lane will be convening at the North Mymms Memorial Hall in Station Road, Welham Green.
The meeting has been organised by Hatfield Against Incineration (HAI) – a campaign group formed by residents of both Hatfield and Welham Green.
Speakers will include Tory MP Grant Shapps and parliamentary candidates Mike Hobday (Labour), Paul Zukowskyj (Lib Dem) and Jill Weston (Green).
HAI committee member Cathy Roe said: “The unsuitability of the New Barnfield site for waste treatment of any kind is obvious.
You may also want to watch:
“There would be major health and traffic problems caused by vehicles carrying waste to the site, which is extremely close to a special school, recreation areas, housing, workplaces and wildlife sites with protected species.
“This is in addition to the health problems caused by dangerous particles released from an incinerator itself.”
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
The meeting – which has the full support of the Welwyn Hatfield Times through its InferNO! campign – starts at 1.30pm and all are welcome.