Pub catches fire

PUBLISHED: 11:09 03 April 2008 | UPDATED: 21:24 26 October 2009

FLAMES spewed out of the chimney of a pub, causing staff to evacuate themselves from the building. The fire at the aptly-named Crooked Chimney boozer in Marford Road, Lemsford was described by staff as resembling a 'jet engine' as fire crews turned up jus

FLAMES spewed out of the chimney of a pub, causing staff to evacuate themselves from the building.

The fire at the aptly-named Crooked Chimney boozer in Marford Road, Lemsford was described by staff as resembling a "jet engine" as fire crews turned up just before 11.30pm yesterday (Wednesday).

Crews extinguished the blaze in just over an hour and concluded that it was caused by a residue build up in the chimney.

Sub officer Steve Duncan said: "It looked pretty impressive.

"Fortunately the fire was isolated to the chimney and there was only heavy smoke in the pub.

"Staff couldn't believe what they were seeing but they were safe in the car park.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times