Protest meeting against Hatfield incinerator
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Thursday to organise a protest against unpopular plans to build an incinerator next to a special school. The meeting, which has been organised by
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Thursday to organise a protest against unpopular plans to build an incinerator next to a special school.
The meeting, which has been organised by Welwyn Hatfield Friends of the Earth, will discuss the controversial proposals to construct a 'heat from waste' incinerator at New Barnfield, next to Southfield School, in Travellers Lane, Hatfield.
The pros and cons of incineration as a means of disposing of waste will also be discussed.
Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj urged as many people as possible to attend the meeting.
"It is the wrong place [New Barnfield]," he said.
"Putting large trucks across the front of a special needs school is not on."
- 1 Snakes abandoned in pillow case outside Potters Bar reptile shop
- 2 Uni of Herts student loses arm on Turkish holiday
- 3 14 bank cards stolen due to ATM fraud
- 4 Dancing in the streets at first WGC Vintage Festival
- 5 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 6 Seven-year-old writes MP letter about WGC homeless crisis
- 7 Multi-vehicle crash on M25 near Potters Bar
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Campaigners close in on fundraising target ahead BioPark appeal
- 10 Children take to the stage for Potters Bar talent show
He added: "We do have to do something about landfill - it can't go on like it is at the moment, but there are better methods than incineration.
"The bio-digestion approach is one that is favoured by green organisations and activists."
The meeting, which starts at 7pm, will be held at the Eight Bells pub in Fore Street, Old Hatfield.
All are welcome.