Protest meeting against Hatfield incinerator
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Thursday to organise a protest against unpopular plans to build an incinerator next to a special school. The meeting, which has been organised by
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Thursday to organise a protest against unpopular plans to build an incinerator next to a special school.
The meeting, which has been organised by Welwyn Hatfield Friends of the Earth, will discuss the controversial proposals to construct a 'heat from waste' incinerator at New Barnfield, next to Southfield School, in Travellers Lane, Hatfield.
The pros and cons of incineration as a means of disposing of waste will also be discussed.
Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj urged as many people as possible to attend the meeting.
You may also want to watch:
"It is the wrong place [New Barnfield]," he said.
"Putting large trucks across the front of a special needs school is not on."
- 1 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 2 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
He added: "We do have to do something about landfill - it can't go on like it is at the moment, but there are better methods than incineration.
"The bio-digestion approach is one that is favoured by green organisations and activists."
The meeting, which starts at 7pm, will be held at the Eight Bells pub in Fore Street, Old Hatfield.
All are welcome.