Prime ministerial debate: David Cameron ‘looked like a leader’ – Shapps
DAVID Cameron “looked and sounded like a Prime Minister” during the televised election debate, according to Welwyn Hatfield Tory candidate Grant Shapps.
Mr Shapps, bidding for a second term as constituency MP, was impressed by his leader’s performance in the 90-minute debate, screened on ITV last night (Thursday).
He said: “I think what David Cameron did was talk up for the ignored majority.
“On issues like immigration and crime, he was very strong. And, going round knocking on doors, these are issues really topping the agenda.
“I thought he won on these issues, and was very effective.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “David Cameron looked prime ministerial and sounded prime ministerial.”
Mr Shapps also reserved a little praise for Nick Clegg – the Lib Dem leader who came out on top, according to opinion polls.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 4 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
“It gives the third party a big billing they don’t normally enjoy, so it seemed logical that Nick Clegg would be more noticeable than the other two, who people see all the time.”
But Mr Shapps dismissed any chance of Mr Clegg’s performance affecting the overall result of the General Election.
He said: “However, it’s either going to be five more years of Gordon Brown, or a new government with energy and ideas led by David Cameron.”