Prime Minister Gordon Brown visits Hertfordshire
PRIME Minister Gordon Brown is on the campaign trail in Stevenage today (Friday) ahead of the General Election on May 6.
The premier has been engaging with voters in the Labour-held constituency, which includes Datchworth, Codicote and Knebworth, alongside his wife Sarah and Home Secretary Alan Johnson.
He was shown around the town by Labour candidate Sharon Taylor.
Addressing residents the PM said: ““It’s a privilege for me and Sarah to be here in Stevenage today.”
The seat, which is currently held by Barbara Follett, is seen as a key battleground in the coming campaign as Mr Brown attempts to win a fourth consecutive term for Labour.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Follett, who will be standing down as MP when Parliament is dissolved on Monday, told the Welwyn Hatfield Times the premier’s visit is a big boost to Sharon Taylor, who is hoping to replace her at the General Election.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Four councillors elected to South Mimms Parish Council
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone