Price of driveways in Welwyn Hatfield doubles
RESIDENTS wanting a driveway to help ease parking problems in their street, will now be charged double by Welwyn Hatfield Council. For years private homeowners have been offered a subsidised price of �500 for the entire cost of installing a hardstand. Bu
RESIDENTS wanting a driveway to help ease parking problems in their street, will now be charged double by Welwyn Hatfield Council.
For years private homeowners have been offered a subsidised price of �500 for the entire cost of installing a hardstand.
But this has now shot up to �1,000.
Councillor Margaret Birleson said: "I think it's an astronomical increase, it's a 100 per cent without any notice.
You may also want to watch:
"It's going to create more cars on the road.
"We're trying to improve off-street parking and I know lots of residents who would like a hardstand but can't afford it, especially in the current financial climate, this will only make things worse."
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 4 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 8 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
But the council said the scheme for areas with parking problems is "good value for money" and privately this could cost around �6,000.
In a report to the council's cabinet, parking services manager Habib Rehman said: "It is considered �1,000 will continue to encourage uptake of these offers, whereby the resident feels they are getting good value for money and at the same time the council receives extra income."
The cabinet agreed approving the increased charged immediately.