Price of driveways in Welwyn Hatfield doubles
RESIDENTS wanting a driveway to help ease parking problems in their street, will now be charged double by Welwyn Hatfield Council. For years private homeowners have been offered a subsidised price of �500 for the entire cost of installing a hardstand. Bu
RESIDENTS wanting a driveway to help ease parking problems in their street, will now be charged double by Welwyn Hatfield Council.
For years private homeowners have been offered a subsidised price of �500 for the entire cost of installing a hardstand.
But this has now shot up to �1,000.
Councillor Margaret Birleson said: "I think it's an astronomical increase, it's a 100 per cent without any notice.
You may also want to watch:
"It's going to create more cars on the road.
"We're trying to improve off-street parking and I know lots of residents who would like a hardstand but can't afford it, especially in the current financial climate, this will only make things worse."
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
But the council said the scheme for areas with parking problems is "good value for money" and privately this could cost around �6,000.
In a report to the council's cabinet, parking services manager Habib Rehman said: "It is considered �1,000 will continue to encourage uptake of these offers, whereby the resident feels they are getting good value for money and at the same time the council receives extra income."
The cabinet agreed approving the increased charged immediately.