Price of driveways in Welwyn Hatfield doubles
RESIDENTS wanting a driveway to help ease parking problems in their street, will now be charged double by Welwyn Hatfield Council. For years private homeowners have been offered a subsidised price of �500 for the entire cost of installing a hardstand. Bu
RESIDENTS wanting a driveway to help ease parking problems in their street, will now be charged double by Welwyn Hatfield Council.
For years private homeowners have been offered a subsidised price of �500 for the entire cost of installing a hardstand.
But this has now shot up to �1,000.
Councillor Margaret Birleson said: "I think it's an astronomical increase, it's a 100 per cent without any notice.
"It's going to create more cars on the road.
"We're trying to improve off-street parking and I know lots of residents who would like a hardstand but can't afford it, especially in the current financial climate, this will only make things worse."
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
- 4 Council fights for lower housing targets in Local Plan
- 5 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 6 Grant Shapps reveals ‘anger’ over ‘unacceptable’ Downing Street parties
- 7 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
- 10 Purse stolen in Hatfield
But the council said the scheme for areas with parking problems is "good value for money" and privately this could cost around �6,000.
In a report to the council's cabinet, parking services manager Habib Rehman said: "It is considered �1,000 will continue to encourage uptake of these offers, whereby the resident feels they are getting good value for money and at the same time the council receives extra income."
The cabinet agreed approving the increased charged immediately.