Potters Bar youngsters are Olympic Torchbearers
TWO Potters Bar youngsters have been chosen to carry the Olympic Torch on its journey to the Games.
Both 13-year-old Lauren Englefield and 19-year-old Tyler Rix were nominated to take part in the historic event.
Lauren, who lives with her parents Gill and Paul at the Chequers pub on Coopers Lane, Potters Bar, was nominated by their Coca-Cola rep.
He chose the Mount Grace pupil due to her sporting ability and her fundraising work.
Lauren, who plays for Watford Ladies FC, has raised cash for a four-year-old girl in Zimbabwe and for Potters Bar Children with Special Needs Group, which supports her elder brother James.
You may also want to watch:
Former Dame Alice Owen’s pupil Tyler Rix, who featured in the Potters Bar Edition when he gave up playing for then-Premier League team West Ham to take up a music career, was nominated by his younger sister Natalie.
The 19-year-old, who is studying at Trinity Music College in London, was also excited by the prospect of carrying the torch.
- 1 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 5 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 6 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 7 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Shoppers encouraged to stay safe as lockdown eases
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12
He said: “I want to inspire people, I want to show them whatever happens they should make the most of their opportunities.
“I wanted to be a footballer and played for West Ham for eight years, and I was so sure that was what I wanted to do, but now I have music.”
The saxophone player added: “I love to be a role model and I wanted to tell the whole world when I found out I was a torchbearer.”