Potters Bar traders sign up to firework safety scheme
TWO traders in Potters Bar have pledged to store and sell fireworks responsibly in the run up to Bonfire Night.
Bosses at Smokers Paradise and Potters Bar Cards & Wine in Darkes Lane have signed up to Hertfordshire Trading Standards’ ‘Good Guy’ scheme.
Under this initiative, workers at both shops will ask customers who appear to be under 18 for ID and maintain a register of refused sales.
They will also display the firework safety code on the premises and follow guidance on how to store fireworks safely.
Trading Standards, which is run by the county council, has also confirmed that it will be monitoring all shops which sell fireworks between now and November 5.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Keith Emsall, executive member for community safety, said: “We want to make sure that everyone enjoys fireworks this year, and the best way to ensure that is if they are used safely.
“Traders can play a big part in achieving that by storing and selling them responsibly.”
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 5 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 6 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
- 9 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 10 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
Inspector Richard Beechey said: “The fortnight around Halloween and Bonfire Night is the busiest in terms of the number of incidents police are called to deal with.
“We welcome the county council’s Good Guy trading scheme which helps keep fireworks in the safest hands, reducing the risk of them being used in an anti-social or dangerous way.”