Potters Bar sailing superkid to fly solo around the world
SAILING prodigy Michael Perham today (Friday) announced his next record-breaking challenge.
At Farnborough Air Show this afternoon, 18-year-old Michael, of Oakroyd Avenue in Potters Bar, revealed his ambitious plans to become the youngest person to fly solo around the world.
The three-month long challenge, across 18 countries and adjudicated by the F�d�ration A�ronautique Internationale, will begin next spring.
If he succeeds, Michael – who is training with Cabair Flying School at Elstree Aerodrome – will become the first person to solo circumnavigate the earth by sailing and flying.
The teenager aims to challenge the current record-holder, Barrington Irving from the USA, who flew solo around the world at the age of 23.
You may also want to watch:
Last year, aged 17, Michael became the Guinness World record-holder for youngest person to sail single-handedly around the world.
He set his first record aged 14, when he became the youngest person to sail across the Atlantic unaided.
- 1 'We were only open 20 days before the first lockdown' - First time restaurant owner optimistic after difficult first year
- 2 Ocado opens new development centre, creating 100 new jobs
- 3 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 4 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 5 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 6 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Weight lifted as Slimming World classes return as COVID-19 restrictions ease
- 9 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 10 Delight for Hatfield Swim Centre as lockdown easing sees group classes return