Potters Bar’s panto fayre is a success – oh yes it is!
IT’S BEHIND YOU! And, for organisers of the annual Darkes Fayre, another successful event is!
This year the theme was pantomime, and stalls and sideshows were decorated for the occasion – with helpers dressed up in a variety of costumes, including the Ugly Sisters, Peter Pan and Aladdin.
Despite Saturday’s inclement weather, organisers reported a 13 per cent increase in attendance on last year, with 712 people filing through the doors after borough mayor Rosemary Gilligan opened proceedings.
The Mad Hatters snack bar and Friar Tuck’s cafe did a roaring trade, while the free treasure hunt for under-12s, introduced last year, attracted 70 entrants.
As the major fundraising event of the year for Potters Bar United Reformed Church, �8,002 was raised to support its work as a community centre and in missions at home and abroad.
You may also want to watch:
Church secretary Mary Deller said: “In view of the economic problems and the wet weather our total is only �69 down on last year and there is more still to come in.
“However, the increase in attendance and seeing so many happy smiling faces made all the work worthwhile.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 6 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
“On behalf of the church I thank the organising team, the stall holders and all those who worked so hard to create a happy and successful day.”