Potters Bar’s panto fayre is a success – oh yes it is!
IT’S BEHIND YOU! And, for organisers of the annual Darkes Fayre, another successful event is!
This year the theme was pantomime, and stalls and sideshows were decorated for the occasion – with helpers dressed up in a variety of costumes, including the Ugly Sisters, Peter Pan and Aladdin.
Despite Saturday’s inclement weather, organisers reported a 13 per cent increase in attendance on last year, with 712 people filing through the doors after borough mayor Rosemary Gilligan opened proceedings.
The Mad Hatters snack bar and Friar Tuck’s cafe did a roaring trade, while the free treasure hunt for under-12s, introduced last year, attracted 70 entrants.
As the major fundraising event of the year for Potters Bar United Reformed Church, �8,002 was raised to support its work as a community centre and in missions at home and abroad.
You may also want to watch:
Church secretary Mary Deller said: “In view of the economic problems and the wet weather our total is only �69 down on last year and there is more still to come in.
“However, the increase in attendance and seeing so many happy smiling faces made all the work worthwhile.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 4 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 5 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 6 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 7 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 8 Drink spiking: University of Hertfordshire students join Girls Night In protest
- 9 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 10 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
“On behalf of the church I thank the organising team, the stall holders and all those who worked so hard to create a happy and successful day.”