Potters Bar’s MP quizzes Prime Minister over UK’s budget
HERTSMERE MP James Clappison has urged the Prime Minister David Cameron to oppose any attempts from the European Union to interfere in the running of the UK’s economy.
The Tory backbencher spoke out following media reports that EU officials had wanted to vet Chancellor George Osborne’s emergency Budget before it was presented to the House of Commons.
Speaking during Prime Minister’s Questions, Mr Clappison asked the premier: “Can my Rt Hon Friend give an assurance that he will resist further moves towards economic governance of the United Kingdom by the European Union, and that we will not see the vetting of our Budget plans by the European Commission before those plans are presented to the House?”
In reply, Mr Cameron said: “My Hon Friend is entirely right.
“The UK Budget should be shown to the UK Parliament before it is shown to anyone else, and that will always be the case under this Government.
You may also want to watch:
“I am pleased to report that subsequent to the publication of our Budget, a number of international bodies – such as the OECD, the EU, the G8 and the G20 – have recognised that it is an extremely good Budget that will help to put this country back on track.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 6 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 10 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure