Potters Bar Rotarians rally to help italian earthquake victims
SURVIVORS of a devastating earthquake in Italy in which more than 275 people died, have been helped by Potters Bar charity men. As rescuers headed for the disaster zone in L Aquila, the town s Rotarians agreed to fund two shelter boxes with enough equipme
SURVIVORS of a devastating earthquake in Italy in which more than 275 people died, have been helped by Potters Bar charity men.
As rescuers headed for the disaster zone in L'Aquila, the town's Rotarians agreed to fund two shelter boxes with enough equipment to support the now homeless residents for six months.
Their Rotarian colleagues drove towards the epicentre and were met by locals from the Italian Rotary just hours after the quake struck.
Potters Bar man Roger Philpott said �1,000 was needed to fund the two boxes.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "The victims now have somewhere to go so they don't go back into their houses.
"This is why Rotary is so wonderful, we have clubs in every country of the world."
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 4 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 5 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 6 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 9 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 10 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
Potters Bar Rotary Club raises cash for shelter boxes and other causes throughout the year.
It is celebrating its 50th year in October and is keen to gain new members.
* The club's next money-raising venture is a six-a-side football tournament on Sunday, June 7.
For more information call Mr Philpott on 01707 880017.