Potters Bar rail crash sentencing adjourned overnight
NETWORK Rail will learn its fate over the 2002 Potters Bar derailment tomorrow (Friday), after the judge decided he needed to consider overnight what sentence to hand down.
Judge Andrew Bright QC heard final submissions from the defence and prosecution were delivered at St Albans Crown Court today (Thursday), over the health and safety breaches that led to the crash, which claimed the life of seven people.
Network Rail pleaded guilty in March to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Acting for the Office of Rail Regulation Nicholas Hilliard QC said: “There was an expectation that they [points that led to the derailment] should be maintained properly, but they were not.”
Prashant Popat QC, representing Network Rail, whose predecessor Railtrack were responsible for the disaster, apologised on the company’s behalf.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It is recognised that this was a catastrophic incident where seven people tragically lost their lives and many more were injured.”
He added: “Network Rail wishes to express its genuine and deep remorse.”
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
Mr Popat also said “lessons had been learned” and changes had been made in terms of safety and track maintenance.