Potters Bar quiz night raises thousands
A CHARITY has been left “completely astounded” after thousands of pounds was raised at an annual quiz night.
The ninth annual Wyllyotts Place Charity Quiz was this year raising cash for the Royal British Legion.
And with sponsors providing a galaxy of raffle and auction prizes, the quiz night brought in a record sum of �3,395.
Poppy Appeal organiser Graham Knightly said: “We are completely astounded by the phenomenal amount raised, considering the present market conditions.
“The proceeds will go a long way towards the Poppy Appeal and other benevolent causes.”
You may also want to watch:
The quiz originally started in 2002 as a means to get local businesses operating out of Wyllyotts Place to give something back to the community.
The RO Group and the Wyllyotts Centre have spearheaded the quizzes and raised several hundred pounds in each the first four years.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Four councillors elected to South Mimms Parish Council
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
Eight years on, the quiz has now grown to include associated businesses as well as the friends and family of staff employed in the companies, resulting in 23 teams playing for the coveted winners’ trophy this time.
The winners, Chairmans Chums, will now nominate the beneficiary of next year’s quiz.
Richard Rowlandson, chairman of the RO Group, who presented the proceeds to the Royal British Legion, said: “The Wyllyotts quiz night is now firmly established as one of the high points of the year and thanks to the commitment, dedication and down right ingenuity of all concerned, it was a fantastic evening.
“What a remarkable result for an extremely important cause.”