Potters Bar pupils find it’s good to talk
MORE often than not, pupils are being told to be quiet in class. But at Dame Alice Owen’s School in Potters Bar, youngsters were being encouraged to speak up.
For it was the annual Youth Speaks competition, run by the Rotary Clubs of Brookmans Park and Potters Bar.
Teams from Chancellor’s School, in Brookmans Park, and the host school took part, giving presentations on topics such as Factory Farming, The Art of Oratory, School Uniform and Our Beautiful World of Success.
The winning team in the intermediate age group, (11-13 years), was Cameron Choudri, Joshua Kirby and Sam Rubin from Dame Alice Owen’s, who gave a witty and amusing presentation against wearing school uniform
Dame Alice also triumphed in the senior age group (14-17 years), with Ellen Garlick, Garo Heath and Max Cole talking about the aspects of success or failure, based on outward appearances.
You may also want to watch:
A Rotary spokesman said: “The competition is an excellent opportunity for young people to develop their public speaking and presentation skills.
“This year was no exception and was very closely fought.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 5 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 6 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
- 7 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 8 First Slam Dunk Festival 2022 headliners announced for Hatfield Park
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 10 Slam Dunk Festival 2022 dates announced for Queen's Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend
* Rotary also holds annual competitions for Young Writer and Young Photographer, the subject of which is Community Spirit.
If you’re interested in entering either contest, email Mike Thorpe at email@example.com for further information.