Potters Bar pensioner ordered to give up allotment
A GREEN-FINGERED pensioner has been kicked off his beloved allotment after 15 years – because managers say he has not been using it enough. Widower Alf Edlin, 82, has discovered he will not be invited to renew his membership with the Potters Bar Allotment
A GREEN-FINGERED pensioner has been kicked off his beloved allotment after 15 years - because managers say he has not been using it enough.
Widower Alf Edlin, 82, has discovered he will not be invited to renew his membership with the Potters Bar Allotment Association for next year.
A letter explained his plot, on the allotments off Highview Gardens, was to be re-let because it had not been used "sufficiently".
Mr Edlin admits that, due to ill health, he has not been able to get to the site as much as he would like this year, but had planned to use his plot to grow cabbages this winter.
You may also want to watch:
"If I didn't think I was up to it, I'd be happy to let somebody else have it," said Mr Edlin.
"But I've been here 15 years and there are a lot of memories. I'm not as energetic as I used to be but I can come here and do a bit of work, or just enjoy the place."
- 1 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 2 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 3 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 4 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 5 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 9 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 10 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
Geoffrey Sudlow, secretary of the Potters Bar Allotment Association, said: "It's very unfortunate when this happens. But we've got a waiting list of around 30 people."
For more on this story, buy this week's Potters Bar Edition, out now.