Potters Bar mum's vigil for son 'Left for dead'
POTTERS Bar mum Polly Havard has been by the bedside of her 24-year-old son Michael Doody after he was viciously attacked yards from his front door. The young man has been left fighting for his life in intensive care after he was allegedly run over by
POTTERS Bar mum Polly Havard has been by the bedside of her 24-year-old son Michael Doody after he was viciously attacked yards from his front door.
The young man has been left fighting for his life in intensive care after he was allegedly run over by a tipper truck.
With 17 pelvic fractures, a broken leg and severe internal injuries his mum, from Chace Avenue, believed her son may not pull through.
The 48-year-old said: "He was broken in half, he can't breathe properly on his own and there is scaffolding holding him together.
"The police originally said this was a minor assault.
"Why would anybody do this to anybody else?
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Council fights for lower housing targets
- 4 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 5 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 6 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 7 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat finally comes to Potters Bar's Wyllyotts Theatre
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
- 10 £45m bid to improve QEII Hospital
"For the first few days everybody thought he wasn't going to make it."
Michael has woken up after a seven-hour operation, but is on a ventilator to help him breathe.
A metal clamp is holding his pelvis together and he now has a permanent metal rod in his leg.
The alleged attack took place in Reed Close, London Colney.
* Thomas Taylor, 18, of Valley Road, Walsall, was arrested in Colney Heath and was charged with grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was granted conditional bail.