Potters Bar councillor dies
A LONG-SERVING Potters Bar councillor has died.
Cllr Ron Morris, who represented the Furzefield ward on Hertsmere Borough Council, died today (Friday) at his home in Dugdale Hill Lane.
The Conservative councillor had represented Potters Bar for 20 years, having first been elected in 1990.
He was the vice-chairman of the council’s Audit Committee and the chairman of the Planning Referrals Committee. He also represented the council on the Shenley Park Trust, Oakmere Community Centre and Aldwyck Housing Association, among other appointments.
This afternoon, council colleagues paid tribute to a much-loved man and devoted public servant.
You may also want to watch:
Hertsmere mayor Peter Knell, a fellow Furzefield ward councillor, described Cllr Morris as the council’s “Father of the House”.
“He was a very kind man, who would always be there for you at council,” he said.
- 1 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 4 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 5 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 6 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 9 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 10 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
“This was his 21st year as a councillor. I used to call him the Father of the House. He introduced me into Hertsmere Borough Council.
“He was my mentor. Any help I needed he was always there to give it.
“It’s a huge loss to the council, and also to me personally.”
Council leader Morris Bright added: “Ron’s death has come as a shock to us all and is a great loss to our council and to the communities he served.
“I was very sorry to learn the news today and our thoughts go out to Ron’s wife Eve and his family at this sad time.”