Potters Bar club beats French rivals at petanque
GERMANY, Argentina, Scotland, Australia – it s always sweet when the English get one over one of their great sporting rivals. And that s exactly what happened in Potters Bar when players from the town s petanque club faced off against their French counter
GERMANY, Argentina, Scotland, Australia - it's always sweet when the English get one over one of their great sporting rivals.
And that's exactly what happened in Potters Bar when players from the town's petanque club faced off against their French counterparts at Oakmere Park.
But this victory over the tourists from Franconville was all the sweeter, as it is the first time since the annual fixture began that Potters Bar has actually won.
Petanque club chairman Michael Penn said: "We have been playing them [Franconville] for 20 years and this is the first time in the history of the two clubs meeting that we have beaten them.
You may also want to watch:
"In my opening speech welcoming them, I said 'I hope we beat you but I don't suppose we will'."
Although delighted with the result, the 77-year-old was also very gracious towards the opposition.
- 1 Film crews spotted in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Bridgerton: First look at Kate Sharma in season two of Netflix drama
- 8 Nature migrations: Ospreys and other migrant visitors to Panshanger Park
- 9 Welwyn Garden Cup off on another cup adventure after dramatic FA Trophy win over Hythe
- 10 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
"The atmosphere was so pleasant," he said.
"They were very nice people that came."
Potters Bar Petanque Club meets at 10.30am every Sunday behind the Harvester pub in Oakmere Park.
All are welcome to join in, regardless of experience.