Potters Bar car dealership appeals for football boots for Africa
AS the Fifa World Cup enters its early stages, staff at a car dealership in Potters Bar are hoping to help impoverished children across Africa enjoy ‘the beautiful game’, by giving them their very own pair of football boots.
Workers at Dagenham Motors, in Baker Street, are urging members of the public to support the Boots for Africa charity by handing over any old or unwanted pairs football boots they have.
Kevin Marsh, general manager of Dagenham Motors, said: “Boots for Africa is such a simple idea and a very worthwhile cause which will give poor children in Africa so much enjoyment from owning their first ever pair of football boots.
“We’re really behind the campaign and hope everybody else will be too!”
As well as pairs of football boots, the dealership is also appealing for unwanted football shirts and trainers.
You may also want to watch:
Staff will also accept single football boots, which are particularly in demand by children in Sudan who have lost a foot or leg to a landmine.
In addition, employees will hold a World Cup sweepstake to help raise much-needed funds for the charity.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 4 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
Donations can be dropped off at the garage during opening hours between now and the World Cup final on July 11.
Boots for Africa was set up by Richard Tims, the chairman of non-league outfit Sheffield FC, after he saw children in the poverty-ridden townships of Africa playing football in their bare feet.
For more information call Dagenham Motors on 01707 652219, or click on the link.