Potters Bar bowler Graham elected county president
POTTERS Bar Bowls Club s Graham Marriner has been elected as president of the Hertfordshire Bowls Association for 2009. Graham was president of his home club last year and was formerly Potters Bar s captain for two terms, secretary for four years and is t
POTTERS Bar Bowls Club's Graham Marriner has been elected as president of the Hertfordshire Bowls Association for 2009.
Graham was president of his home club last year and was formerly Potters Bar's captain for two terms, secretary for four years and is their current press and internet officer.
Of his most recent appointment, Graham said: "It is a real honour for me and for Potters Bar.
"They are tickled pink as it is the first time they have had a member as county president."
You may also want to watch:
The new role will be a testing position for the Times Territory man.
"I have a challenge ahead of me to try to be as good as previous presidents," he said. "It is a fine tradition."
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 10 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
It was while on his annual holiday in Australia 12 years ago that Graham was introduced to bowls and he remains a member of Carlingford Bowls Club in Sydney.
This year the new president will play in around 50 matches, which includes a seven-match tour based in Herefordshire.
"I'll be president for one year, but then after you are always associated with the county until your playing days come to an end," he added.
"I look forward to the year ahead and supporting the Middleton Cup team in their three match programme and hope to be cheering them on at the National Championships at Worthing in July."
It was at the Hertfordshire Bowls Association AGM, held at the Welwyn Civic Centre last month, that Graham was elected to the position.