Potters Bar bowler Graham elected county president
POTTERS Bar Bowls Club s Graham Marriner has been elected as president of the Hertfordshire Bowls Association for 2009. Graham was president of his home club last year and was formerly Potters Bar s captain for two terms, secretary for four years and is t
POTTERS Bar Bowls Club's Graham Marriner has been elected as president of the Hertfordshire Bowls Association for 2009.
Graham was president of his home club last year and was formerly Potters Bar's captain for two terms, secretary for four years and is their current press and internet officer.
Of his most recent appointment, Graham said: "It is a real honour for me and for Potters Bar.
"They are tickled pink as it is the first time they have had a member as county president."
You may also want to watch:
The new role will be a testing position for the Times Territory man.
"I have a challenge ahead of me to try to be as good as previous presidents," he said. "It is a fine tradition."
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 3 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 4 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 5 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 8 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 9 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 10 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
It was while on his annual holiday in Australia 12 years ago that Graham was introduced to bowls and he remains a member of Carlingford Bowls Club in Sydney.
This year the new president will play in around 50 matches, which includes a seven-match tour based in Herefordshire.
"I'll be president for one year, but then after you are always associated with the county until your playing days come to an end," he added.
"I look forward to the year ahead and supporting the Middleton Cup team in their three match programme and hope to be cheering them on at the National Championships at Worthing in July."
It was at the Hertfordshire Bowls Association AGM, held at the Welwyn Civic Centre last month, that Graham was elected to the position.