Potters Bar bowler Graham elected county president
POTTERS Bar Bowls Club s Graham Marriner has been elected as president of the Hertfordshire Bowls Association for 2009. Graham was president of his home club last year and was formerly Potters Bar s captain for two terms, secretary for four years and is t
POTTERS Bar Bowls Club's Graham Marriner has been elected as president of the Hertfordshire Bowls Association for 2009.
Graham was president of his home club last year and was formerly Potters Bar's captain for two terms, secretary for four years and is their current press and internet officer.
Of his most recent appointment, Graham said: "It is a real honour for me and for Potters Bar.
"They are tickled pink as it is the first time they have had a member as county president."
You may also want to watch:
The new role will be a testing position for the Times Territory man.
"I have a challenge ahead of me to try to be as good as previous presidents," he said. "It is a fine tradition."
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook
- 6 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Head of planning to leave for county council role
- 9 Eight-year-old actress joins sister in the big screen as she stars in independent domestic abuse film
- 10 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
It was while on his annual holiday in Australia 12 years ago that Graham was introduced to bowls and he remains a member of Carlingford Bowls Club in Sydney.
This year the new president will play in around 50 matches, which includes a seven-match tour based in Herefordshire.
"I'll be president for one year, but then after you are always associated with the county until your playing days come to an end," he added.
"I look forward to the year ahead and supporting the Middleton Cup team in their three match programme and hope to be cheering them on at the National Championships at Worthing in July."
It was at the Hertfordshire Bowls Association AGM, held at the Welwyn Civic Centre last month, that Graham was elected to the position.