Police issue warning to tradesmen after spate of tool thefts
TRADESMEN are being urged to remove tools from their vans overnight, after a spate of thefts from vehicles in Welham Green.
In one such raid, which took place between 5.30pm on June 2 and 4.30pm on June 3, an angle grinder, hammer drill and Stanley spirit level were nabbed from a blue Mercedes van parked securely in Somers Square.
Three other vehicles have also been targeted in this area over the past few weeks.
Pc Adel Bosowitz said: “Most of the offences have occurred on Somers Square and Somers Road.
“We believe the thieves may be local, but we need help to trace them.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “If you use your tools for your work, it would be devastating if they are stolen but you can prevent yourself from becoming a victim by removing these items, or anything else of value from your vehicle.
“It seems common sense advice but it is amazing how many people become complacent.”
- 1 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 7 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 8 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
As well as the break ins, the police have also been made aware of five recent incidences of overnight vehicle vandalism in the village.
“These acts of vandalism are criminal and we need to find out who is responsible,” Pc Bosowitz added.
Call police with information on 0845 33 00 222.