Police issue safety advice after burglary rise in Welwyn Hatfield
BURGLARIES are on the increase as people become complacent about securing garages and sheds during the summer months, police say. Hertfordshire Constabulary has re-issued crime prevention advice after a rise in the number of shed breaks in the past month
BURGLARIES are on the increase as people become complacent about securing garages and sheds during the summer months, police say.
Hertfordshire Constabulary has re-issued crime prevention advice after a rise in the number of shed breaks in the past month, particularly in WGC.
Neighbourhood Inspector Ian Grout said: "When the sun comes out, people forget to lock up and secure their sheds and garages.
"We expect to see a seasonal increase, like we did last month, when the sun comes out again - but this can be prevented by encouraging residents to take a few minutes to secure their property."
You may also want to watch:
Police are advising Welwyn Hatfield residents to adopt the following crime prevention advice:
* Ensure that garden gates, sheds and garages are locked at all times - even if you are inside your home.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 3 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 8 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 9 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 10 What time will the election results come in?
* Fix heavy duty locks to garages or sheds and make sure that the doors are solid enough not to be kicked in.
* Don't leave ladders and tools outside in view of possible thieves.
* Visibly and permanently mark property that is kept in sheds and garages with details that identify you as the owner.
* If possible, buy an audible shed alarm and garden security lighting that will deter thieves. These are relatively inexpensive to buy from all hardware shops.
For more crime prevention advice please contact Linda Stevens on 01707 806936.