Police issue safety advice after burglary rise in Welwyn Hatfield
BURGLARIES are on the increase as people become complacent about securing garages and sheds during the summer months, police say. Hertfordshire Constabulary has re-issued crime prevention advice after a rise in the number of shed breaks in the past month
BURGLARIES are on the increase as people become complacent about securing garages and sheds during the summer months, police say.
Hertfordshire Constabulary has re-issued crime prevention advice after a rise in the number of shed breaks in the past month, particularly in WGC.
Neighbourhood Inspector Ian Grout said: "When the sun comes out, people forget to lock up and secure their sheds and garages.
"We expect to see a seasonal increase, like we did last month, when the sun comes out again - but this can be prevented by encouraging residents to take a few minutes to secure their property."
You may also want to watch:
Police are advising Welwyn Hatfield residents to adopt the following crime prevention advice:
* Ensure that garden gates, sheds and garages are locked at all times - even if you are inside your home.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 4 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 7 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 8 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 9 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
* Fix heavy duty locks to garages or sheds and make sure that the doors are solid enough not to be kicked in.
* Don't leave ladders and tools outside in view of possible thieves.
* Visibly and permanently mark property that is kept in sheds and garages with details that identify you as the owner.
* If possible, buy an audible shed alarm and garden security lighting that will deter thieves. These are relatively inexpensive to buy from all hardware shops.
For more crime prevention advice please contact Linda Stevens on 01707 806936.