Police issue safety advice after burglary rise in Welwyn Hatfield
BURGLARIES are on the increase as people become complacent about securing garages and sheds during the summer months, police say. Hertfordshire Constabulary has re-issued crime prevention advice after a rise in the number of shed breaks in the past month
BURGLARIES are on the increase as people become complacent about securing garages and sheds during the summer months, police say.
Hertfordshire Constabulary has re-issued crime prevention advice after a rise in the number of shed breaks in the past month, particularly in WGC.
Neighbourhood Inspector Ian Grout said: "When the sun comes out, people forget to lock up and secure their sheds and garages.
"We expect to see a seasonal increase, like we did last month, when the sun comes out again - but this can be prevented by encouraging residents to take a few minutes to secure their property."
You may also want to watch:
Police are advising Welwyn Hatfield residents to adopt the following crime prevention advice:
* Ensure that garden gates, sheds and garages are locked at all times - even if you are inside your home.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 3 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 8 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 9 Charity golf day raises thousands for the Willow Foundation
- 10 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
* Fix heavy duty locks to garages or sheds and make sure that the doors are solid enough not to be kicked in.
* Don't leave ladders and tools outside in view of possible thieves.
* Visibly and permanently mark property that is kept in sheds and garages with details that identify you as the owner.
* If possible, buy an audible shed alarm and garden security lighting that will deter thieves. These are relatively inexpensive to buy from all hardware shops.
For more crime prevention advice please contact Linda Stevens on 01707 806936.