Plea to help Australia bush fire victims
AN ex-pat from Potters Bar living just 30 miles away from Australia's worst-ever bush fires is appealing for Times Territory residents to donate cash to help families who have suffered in the blaze. James King, who grew up in Potters Bar, is now living in
AN ex-pat from Potters Bar living just 30 miles away from Australia's worst-ever bush fires is appealing for Times Territory residents to donate cash to help families who have suffered in the blaze.
James King, who grew up in Potters Bar, is now living in Southbank, near Melbourne.
Earlier this month the teacher featured in the Potters Bar Edition talking about the disaster, in which more than 200 people have been killed by raging infernos.
He said at the time: "It looked like Armageddon or something from a horror movie.
You may also want to watch:
"I hope I never experience anything like that again."
This week, after reading our coverage online at www.whtimes24.co.uk, the 34-year-old, a former pupil of Chancellor's School, in Brookmans Park, contacted us about the aid appeal.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
He said everyone in the state of Victoria was ganging together to raise as much money as possible for those in need and he would love to see donations from his home town.
"It has been an amazing effort here," he told the Potters Bar Edition.
"I work in a school, which is not in a particularly affluent area, but all the students have done amazing and have raised more than �1,500.
"It would be brilliant if people in and around Potters Bar could raise cash for the cause as well."
To donate money visit www.redcross.org.uk and click on the Australian Bushfires Appeal link.