Plea to help Australia bush fire victims
AN ex-pat from Potters Bar living just 30 miles away from Australia's worst-ever bush fires is appealing for Times Territory residents to donate cash to help families who have suffered in the blaze. James King, who grew up in Potters Bar, is now living in
AN ex-pat from Potters Bar living just 30 miles away from Australia's worst-ever bush fires is appealing for Times Territory residents to donate cash to help families who have suffered in the blaze.
James King, who grew up in Potters Bar, is now living in Southbank, near Melbourne.
Earlier this month the teacher featured in the Potters Bar Edition talking about the disaster, in which more than 200 people have been killed by raging infernos.
He said at the time: "It looked like Armageddon or something from a horror movie.
You may also want to watch:
"I hope I never experience anything like that again."
This week, after reading our coverage online at www.whtimes24.co.uk, the 34-year-old, a former pupil of Chancellor's School, in Brookmans Park, contacted us about the aid appeal.
- 1 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 2 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 3 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 4 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 5 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 6 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 7 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
He said everyone in the state of Victoria was ganging together to raise as much money as possible for those in need and he would love to see donations from his home town.
"It has been an amazing effort here," he told the Potters Bar Edition.
"I work in a school, which is not in a particularly affluent area, but all the students have done amazing and have raised more than �1,500.
"It would be brilliant if people in and around Potters Bar could raise cash for the cause as well."
To donate money visit www.redcross.org.uk and click on the Australian Bushfires Appeal link.