Plan to transform hospital unveiled
THE East and North Herts NHS Trust has submitted an outline planning application to transform the Lister Hospital in Stevenage. The redevelopment will include incorporating the QE2 Hospital's major services, such as A&E and maternity. Meanwhile, a deal ov
THE East and North Herts NHS Trust has submitted an outline planning application to transform the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
The redevelopment will include incorporating the QE2 Hospital's major services, such as A&E and maternity.
Meanwhile, a deal over the Lister's new surgicentre - subject to a separate planning application - is also "imminent".
A contract is expected to be signed in the coming weeks for private sector provider Clinicenta to build the facility.
You may also want to watch:
Trust chief executive Nick Carver said: "This is an exciting development as it sets out what's in store for everyone with an interest in the transformation of the Lister to become the major acute hospital for those living, working and visiting east and north Hertford-shire, as well as parts of Bedfordshire.
"The plan, which covers the expansion of our maternity services, the creation of a multi-storey car park, consolidated emergency services and the building of a new main south block, will see over �100m being invested in upgraded and new facilities at the hospital."
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
Mr Carver said: "We expect work on some of these projects, including maternity services and the car park, to begin later this year.
"Subject to imminent agreement being reached with our private sector provider Clinicenta, building of our new surgicentre could start within weeks.
"Between them, these three projects alone will begin transforming the Lister site."
The redevelopment is expected to be completed in 2015.
* What do you think about the grandiose plans for the Lister? Email your views to email@example.com