Petition against Hatfield incinerator to be handed over
CAMPAIGNERS opposed to the construction of a massive waste incinerator in Hatfield will be presenting a petition to the county council this week.
Members of Hatfield Against Incineration (HAI) will be handing the document over to the authority at Tuesday evening’s meeting at County Hall.
The petition – which at the time of going to press had attracted more than 150 signatures – calls on the county council to abandon plans to build a waste management facility at New Barnfield in Travellers Lane.
HAI committee member Cathy Roe said: “There is massive opposition to the use of this site because of its close proximity to a special needs school, a wild-life site, work-places and housing, all of which would be affected by noise and fumes from increased traffic and by pollution from an incinerator.”
Mrs Roe urged residents opposed to the use of New Barnfield for waste treatment to help collect signatures for the petition ahead of next week’s meeting.
You may also want to watch:
The petition can be downloaded from www.hatfield-anti-incineration.co.uk
She also implored supporters of the campaign to attend the meeting to show their opposition to the council’s plans.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 4 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 8 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 9 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
The meeting starts at 10.30am at County Hall in Pegs Lane, Hertford.