Petition against Hatfield incinerator to be handed over
CAMPAIGNERS opposed to the construction of a massive waste incinerator in Hatfield will be presenting a petition to the county council this week.
Members of Hatfield Against Incineration (HAI) will be handing the document over to the authority at Tuesday evening’s meeting at County Hall.
The petition – which at the time of going to press had attracted more than 150 signatures – calls on the county council to abandon plans to build a waste management facility at New Barnfield in Travellers Lane.
HAI committee member Cathy Roe said: “There is massive opposition to the use of this site because of its close proximity to a special needs school, a wild-life site, work-places and housing, all of which would be affected by noise and fumes from increased traffic and by pollution from an incinerator.”
Mrs Roe urged residents opposed to the use of New Barnfield for waste treatment to help collect signatures for the petition ahead of next week’s meeting.
You may also want to watch:
The petition can be downloaded from www.hatfield-anti-incineration.co.uk
She also implored supporters of the campaign to attend the meeting to show their opposition to the council’s plans.
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 5 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 6 Student gets programming with Code Ninjas
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Travel business calls for Grant Shapps visit to ‘see what a travel agent is’
- 9 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 10 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
The meeting starts at 10.30am at County Hall in Pegs Lane, Hertford.