Pensioner blasts Morrisons over lack of seating
A DISABLED man has hit out at a supermarket over its “shameful” treatment of customers with mobilty problems.
Geoff Emerson says he is “disgusted” with the management at Morrisons in Black Fan Road, WGC, after it removed a seating area and has yet to replace it.
The 72-year-old suffers from emphysema, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and a severe back problem, and says he is virtually housebound as a result.
His only regular trip out is to his local Morrisons, where he takes his wife, Gira, at least once a week.
As he is unable to walk for long distances, Geoff would sit down on a small row of seats close to the entrance of the store, while Gira shopped.
You may also want to watch:
But five months ago, the seats were removed, leaving Geoff and other people suffering mobility problems standing.
“I was told it was a health and safety issue,” said Geoff, from Broomhills.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
“They told me they were replacing the seats with a bench but that was five months ago.”
Geoff said he could not sit in the supermarket’s restaurant area, as he found it difficult to get his legs under the table, nor was he able to lift a chair on his own.
“I’ve got to walk half the length of the store to the service desk for them to get a chair,” he said.
“I think it’s absolutely shameful. If they don’t want the elderly or disabled there, we’ll go somewhere else.”
But he stressed: “It’s not the staff; they’re wonderful. It’s the management that’s the problem.”
A spokesman for Morrisons said: “Due to the lack of room behind the checkouts, the seating was removed.
“However, customers are welcome to use the seating area, provided in the adjacent cafe.”