Former gang member talks at Welwyn Garden City school in bid to tackle antisocial behaviour
- Credit: Archant
A former drug addict and ex-gang member told his story at a Welwyn Garden City school in a bid to help tackle antisocial behaviour in the town.
Influential speaker Paul Hannaford told pupils at Sir Frederic Osborn School of his descent into drink and drug addiction and gang life.
Around 5,000 Welwyn Hatfield school pupils have now heard Paul speak in the last two weeks, after Welwyn Hatfield Council invited him to talk in assemblies at five of the local secondary schools.
A grant from the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Office enabled the council to approach Paul, who had been recommended as an effective speaker on antisocial issues.
To date, he has spoken to over 300,000 young people about his experiences.
You may also want to watch:
Following the event, organised by the council’s Community Partnerships, Cllr Roger Trigg said: “The increased PCC funding for the CSP has enabled us to use best practice and work together to meet the challenge of anti-social behaviour in schools as well as on the streets.
“Alongside the work of the police Safer Neighbourhoods team and the council’s Anti-Social Behaviour team we have found a great influencer for the young people of the borough in Paul Hannaford.”
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 10 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One