One Foot in the Grave star in Hatfield
A TV star was on hand as a water company kicked off a year of fundraising activities by presenting �15,000 to charity. Hatfield-based Three Valleys Water has chosen Help the Aged as its charity for 2009. And last week Doreen Mantle, who played Jean Warboy
A TV star was on hand as a water company kicked off a year of fundraising activities by presenting �15,000 to charity.
Hatfield-based Three Valleys Water has chosen Help the Aged as its charity for 2009.
And last week Doreen Mantle, who played Jean Warboys in BBC sitcom One Foot in the Grave, was at the Jimmy Mac's centre in Hatfield to accept the cheque on behalf of the charity.
Doreen, 78, said: "Help the Aged would like to thank Three Valleys Water for appointing us as its charity of the year, and for the generous donation it has made to start off the year.
You may also want to watch:
"These vital funds and the further amounts raised during the year will help us to carry out safety work to support and empower older people to maintain their independence by feeling safe in their own homes."
Three Valleys managing director Andy Smith said: "We've chosen this charity because all of us know and may care for older people and understand the issues that they face.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 4 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 9 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 10 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
"2009 will provide a focus for our employees to make a real difference to this growing part of our community.
"Our staff will be involved in activities throughout the year to raise funds and also help the charity in carrying out its important work.