One Foot in the Grave star in Hatfield
A TV star was on hand as a water company kicked off a year of fundraising activities by presenting �15,000 to charity. Hatfield-based Three Valleys Water has chosen Help the Aged as its charity for 2009. And last week Doreen Mantle, who played Jean Warboy
A TV star was on hand as a water company kicked off a year of fundraising activities by presenting �15,000 to charity.
Hatfield-based Three Valleys Water has chosen Help the Aged as its charity for 2009.
And last week Doreen Mantle, who played Jean Warboys in BBC sitcom One Foot in the Grave, was at the Jimmy Mac's centre in Hatfield to accept the cheque on behalf of the charity.
Doreen, 78, said: "Help the Aged would like to thank Three Valleys Water for appointing us as its charity of the year, and for the generous donation it has made to start off the year.
You may also want to watch:
"These vital funds and the further amounts raised during the year will help us to carry out safety work to support and empower older people to maintain their independence by feeling safe in their own homes."
Three Valleys managing director Andy Smith said: "We've chosen this charity because all of us know and may care for older people and understand the issues that they face.
- 1 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 6 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 7 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 8 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 9 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 10 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
"2009 will provide a focus for our employees to make a real difference to this growing part of our community.
"Our staff will be involved in activities throughout the year to raise funds and also help the charity in carrying out its important work.