Olympian Billy Joe's first professional opponent revealed
BOXER Billy Joe Saunders first professional opponent has been confirmed. Frank Warren s Olympic stars face an Eastern invasion when they make their long-awaited pro debuts at the NIA in Birmingham on Saturday, February 28. James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and
BOXER Billy Joe Saunders' first professional opponent has been confirmed.
Frank Warren's Olympic stars face an Eastern invasion when they make their long-awaited pro debuts at the NIA in Birmingham on Saturday, February 28.
James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and Hatfield fighter Saunders will all meet opponents from former Iron Curtain countries.
Saunders, who lives on a travellers' site on the A414, will face former Hungarian light-welterweight champion Attila Molnar.
You may also want to watch:
Olympic middleweight champion DeGale takes on Vepkhia Tchilaia, a 21-year-old from Tbilisi, Georgia.
Frankie Gavin, the world amateur champion, tackles a second Georgian, 22-year-old George Kadaria
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
All three opponents have vowed to cause an upset in a fortnight's time, and, given their professional experience, will pose stiff tests to each of the three Olympians.
Saunders, 19, said: "I just can't wait to get in the ring and make a statement.
"My opponent has been around a bit and he's even boxed the full 12 rounds before, so if I look good against him then I'll know I'm going in the right direction."
The Herts fighter, now trained by Jimmy Tibbs, has been sparring with DeGale.
And 23-year-old Olympic gold medallist DeGale said: "Training has been going brilliantly, but I've had an extra edge since I've known who I will be facing.
"I boxed a few Eastern Europeans when I was an amateur and did well against them, but they are always tough and I know Tchilaia will come to fight."
Tickets for the NIA bill are priced at �30, �50, �100 and �150.
They are available from: Ticket Factory on
0844 338 8000; See Tickets on 0871 220 0260; Ticketmaster on 0844 847 2500 and Ticketline on 0871 888 9991.