Olympian Billy Joe's first professional opponent revealed
BOXER Billy Joe Saunders first professional opponent has been confirmed. Frank Warren s Olympic stars face an Eastern invasion when they make their long-awaited pro debuts at the NIA in Birmingham on Saturday, February 28. James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and
BOXER Billy Joe Saunders' first professional opponent has been confirmed.
Frank Warren's Olympic stars face an Eastern invasion when they make their long-awaited pro debuts at the NIA in Birmingham on Saturday, February 28.
James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and Hatfield fighter Saunders will all meet opponents from former Iron Curtain countries.
Saunders, who lives on a travellers' site on the A414, will face former Hungarian light-welterweight champion Attila Molnar.
Olympic middleweight champion DeGale takes on Vepkhia Tchilaia, a 21-year-old from Tbilisi, Georgia.
Frankie Gavin, the world amateur champion, tackles a second Georgian, 22-year-old George Kadaria
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 4 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 5 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Cuffley home care company recognised among best in east of England
- 9 Fifteen-year-old boy hospitalised after reported stabbing in Hatfield
- 10 Local man will be flying high in an effort to raise much needed funds for Potential Kids
All three opponents have vowed to cause an upset in a fortnight's time, and, given their professional experience, will pose stiff tests to each of the three Olympians.
Saunders, 19, said: "I just can't wait to get in the ring and make a statement.
"My opponent has been around a bit and he's even boxed the full 12 rounds before, so if I look good against him then I'll know I'm going in the right direction."
The Herts fighter, now trained by Jimmy Tibbs, has been sparring with DeGale.
And 23-year-old Olympic gold medallist DeGale said: "Training has been going brilliantly, but I've had an extra edge since I've known who I will be facing.
"I boxed a few Eastern Europeans when I was an amateur and did well against them, but they are always tough and I know Tchilaia will come to fight."
Tickets for the NIA bill are priced at �30, �50, �100 and �150.
They are available from: Ticket Factory on
0844 338 8000; See Tickets on 0871 220 0260; Ticketmaster on 0844 847 2500 and Ticketline on 0871 888 9991.