Olympian Billy Joe's first professional opponent revealed
BOXER Billy Joe Saunders first professional opponent has been confirmed. Frank Warren s Olympic stars face an Eastern invasion when they make their long-awaited pro debuts at the NIA in Birmingham on Saturday, February 28. James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and
BOXER Billy Joe Saunders' first professional opponent has been confirmed.
Frank Warren's Olympic stars face an Eastern invasion when they make their long-awaited pro debuts at the NIA in Birmingham on Saturday, February 28.
James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and Hatfield fighter Saunders will all meet opponents from former Iron Curtain countries.
Saunders, who lives on a travellers' site on the A414, will face former Hungarian light-welterweight champion Attila Molnar.
You may also want to watch:
Olympic middleweight champion DeGale takes on Vepkhia Tchilaia, a 21-year-old from Tbilisi, Georgia.
Frankie Gavin, the world amateur champion, tackles a second Georgian, 22-year-old George Kadaria
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
All three opponents have vowed to cause an upset in a fortnight's time, and, given their professional experience, will pose stiff tests to each of the three Olympians.
Saunders, 19, said: "I just can't wait to get in the ring and make a statement.
"My opponent has been around a bit and he's even boxed the full 12 rounds before, so if I look good against him then I'll know I'm going in the right direction."
The Herts fighter, now trained by Jimmy Tibbs, has been sparring with DeGale.
And 23-year-old Olympic gold medallist DeGale said: "Training has been going brilliantly, but I've had an extra edge since I've known who I will be facing.
"I boxed a few Eastern Europeans when I was an amateur and did well against them, but they are always tough and I know Tchilaia will come to fight."
Tickets for the NIA bill are priced at �30, �50, �100 and �150.
They are available from: Ticket Factory on
0844 338 8000; See Tickets on 0871 220 0260; Ticketmaster on 0844 847 2500 and Ticketline on 0871 888 9991.