Oliver Cromwell steam train to pass through Welwyn Hatfield today
FOR the second time this month, Times Territory is set to get a taste of the golden age of steam. For locomotive Oliver Cromwell is today (Saturday) hauling her first train out of Cleethorpes for the first time in 40 years. The Great Northern tour, operat
FOR the second time this month, Times Territory is set to get a taste of the golden age of steam.
For locomotive Oliver Cromwell is today (Saturday) hauling her first train out of Cleethorpes for the first time in 40 years.
The Great Northern tour, operated by the Railway Touring Company, was setting off from the Lincolnshire seaside town just after 7am this morning.
Pick up points include Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Doncaster, before it heads south down the East Coast Main Line.
It is due to pass through Times Territory's stations - Knebworth, Welwyn North, WGC, Hatfield, Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar - shortly after 1pm.
The steam engine, a Britannia Pacific 70013, will end its journey at London King's Cross.
- 1 Hatfield fixer-upper with lake on sale for £2.5m
- 2 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 3 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: Changes to rubbish and recycling bin collection days in Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 5 Met Police officer denies sexually assaulting male colleague
- 6 New live music venue proposed for Howardsgate
- 7 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 8 Who is playing when at Slam Dunk Festival 2022: Set times announced for Hatfield Park
- 9 More cash for safer cycling and walking schemes in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Church proposes new extension to meet future needs
It will return from the capital at 5.48pm - passing through Times Territory at about 6.15pm.
When it reaches Peterborough, a diesel locomotive will take over for the final leg back to Cleethorpes.
Three weeks ago, hundreds of people in Times Territory came out to see Tornado - the first main line steam engine to be built in the UK for 50 years - chug through.
* Are you going out to spot Oliver Cromwell today? Send us your photos by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org