Oliver Cromwell steam train to pass through Welwyn Hatfield today
FOR the second time this month, Times Territory is set to get a taste of the golden age of steam. For locomotive Oliver Cromwell is today (Saturday) hauling her first train out of Cleethorpes for the first time in 40 years. The Great Northern tour, operat
FOR the second time this month, Times Territory is set to get a taste of the golden age of steam.
For locomotive Oliver Cromwell is today (Saturday) hauling her first train out of Cleethorpes for the first time in 40 years.
The Great Northern tour, operated by the Railway Touring Company, was setting off from the Lincolnshire seaside town just after 7am this morning.
Pick up points include Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Doncaster, before it heads south down the East Coast Main Line.
You may also want to watch:
It is due to pass through Times Territory's stations - Knebworth, Welwyn North, WGC, Hatfield, Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar - shortly after 1pm.
The steam engine, a Britannia Pacific 70013, will end its journey at London King's Cross.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 6 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
It will return from the capital at 5.48pm - passing through Times Territory at about 6.15pm.
When it reaches Peterborough, a diesel locomotive will take over for the final leg back to Cleethorpes.
Three weeks ago, hundreds of people in Times Territory came out to see Tornado - the first main line steam engine to be built in the UK for 50 years - chug through.
* Are you going out to spot Oliver Cromwell today? Send us your photos by emailing email@example.com