Oil strikes gold for Welwyn Garden City fish bar
IT’S not just the scampi that’s golden at a fish and chip bar in Times Territory.
Lees Fish & Chips, in Moors Walk, WGC, has been awarded the Gold Standard Award for Excellence in Oil Management.
The award is presented by Frymax, the leading all-vegetable frying fat for the fish frying industry, which recognises friers who take care to maintain the quality and condition of their cooking oil, and as a result, the food they serve.
Lees Fish and Chips manager Peter Lees, who opened the restaurant three years ago, said: “I’m delighted to have been awarded the Gold Standard.
“The oil affects the quality of every item we cook in the shop so it’s very important to have good clean oil to enhance the quality of the food we serve to our customers.”
You may also want to watch:
The oil at Lees Fish & Chips is filtered every two to three days, and is then sent to a refinery where it is turned into bio fuels.
A Frymax spokesman praised the shop, saying: “The food is cooked in a high efficiency frying range to reduce the impact on the environment.
- 1 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 2 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 3 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 4 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 5 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 6 Even more pics of fun in the snow in Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 9 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 10 Father reveals 'toll' his infertility took on his mental health while trying to have a baby
“The shop is also very selective with its ingredients. All fish are sourced from well managed sustainable fishing grounds.
“Additionally, locally grown Maris Piper potatoes are used to provide customers with a top quality fish and chip meal.”
Lees Fish & Chips is open from 4pm to 9pm Monday to Saturday.
A lunch service is available between noon and 2pm Tuesday to Saturday.
Call 01707 377091 for more information.