Oil strikes gold for Welwyn Garden City fish bar
IT’S not just the scampi that’s golden at a fish and chip bar in Times Territory.
Lees Fish & Chips, in Moors Walk, WGC, has been awarded the Gold Standard Award for Excellence in Oil Management.
The award is presented by Frymax, the leading all-vegetable frying fat for the fish frying industry, which recognises friers who take care to maintain the quality and condition of their cooking oil, and as a result, the food they serve.
Lees Fish and Chips manager Peter Lees, who opened the restaurant three years ago, said: “I’m delighted to have been awarded the Gold Standard.
“The oil affects the quality of every item we cook in the shop so it’s very important to have good clean oil to enhance the quality of the food we serve to our customers.”
You may also want to watch:
The oil at Lees Fish & Chips is filtered every two to three days, and is then sent to a refinery where it is turned into bio fuels.
A Frymax spokesman praised the shop, saying: “The food is cooked in a high efficiency frying range to reduce the impact on the environment.
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 4 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 8 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 9 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 10 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
“The shop is also very selective with its ingredients. All fish are sourced from well managed sustainable fishing grounds.
“Additionally, locally grown Maris Piper potatoes are used to provide customers with a top quality fish and chip meal.”
Lees Fish & Chips is open from 4pm to 9pm Monday to Saturday.
A lunch service is available between noon and 2pm Tuesday to Saturday.
Call 01707 377091 for more information.