Oil slick in Hatfield causes traffic chaos
AN oil drum discarded on a busy road is causing traffic chaos in Times Territory this morning (Thursday). Police were called to the A414 near Tesco in Hatfield at
AN oil drum discarded on a busy road is causing traffic chaos in Times Territory this morning (Thursday).
Police were called to the A414 near Tesco in Hatfield at 7.04am to reports of a slick in the road.
A spokeswoman for the police said the A414 on the carriageway towards the Oldings Roundabout is now closed and it is not known when it will be re-opened.
Herts Highways staff are on the scene to clear up to the spill.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Tesco said that the store remained open for business and that it can be accessed by the entrance on Comet Way.
The incident has caused significant tailbacks on the A414 and has also caused congestion on a number of nearby roads including Chequers in WGC.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 6 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 10 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
One motorist caught up in the congestion described the traffic as "absolutely ridiculous".
"It normally takes me seven or eight minutes to get to work, today it took me nearly 40 minutes," he said.