Oil slick in Hatfield causes traffic chaos
AN oil drum discarded on a busy road is causing traffic chaos in Times Territory this morning (Thursday). Police were called to the A414 near Tesco in Hatfield at
AN oil drum discarded on a busy road is causing traffic chaos in Times Territory this morning (Thursday).
Police were called to the A414 near Tesco in Hatfield at 7.04am to reports of a slick in the road.
A spokeswoman for the police said the A414 on the carriageway towards the Oldings Roundabout is now closed and it is not known when it will be re-opened.
Herts Highways staff are on the scene to clear up to the spill.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Tesco said that the store remained open for business and that it can be accessed by the entrance on Comet Way.
The incident has caused significant tailbacks on the A414 and has also caused congestion on a number of nearby roads including Chequers in WGC.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 8 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 9 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
One motorist caught up in the congestion described the traffic as "absolutely ridiculous".
"It normally takes me seven or eight minutes to get to work, today it took me nearly 40 minutes," he said.