Oil slick in Hatfield causes traffic chaos
AN oil drum discarded on a busy road is causing traffic chaos in Times Territory this morning (Thursday). Police were called to the A414 near Tesco in Hatfield at
AN oil drum discarded on a busy road is causing traffic chaos in Times Territory this morning (Thursday).
Police were called to the A414 near Tesco in Hatfield at 7.04am to reports of a slick in the road.
A spokeswoman for the police said the A414 on the carriageway towards the Oldings Roundabout is now closed and it is not known when it will be re-opened.
Herts Highways staff are on the scene to clear up to the spill.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Tesco said that the store remained open for business and that it can be accessed by the entrance on Comet Way.
The incident has caused significant tailbacks on the A414 and has also caused congestion on a number of nearby roads including Chequers in WGC.
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 5 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 6 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 9 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 10 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
One motorist caught up in the congestion described the traffic as "absolutely ridiculous".
"It normally takes me seven or eight minutes to get to work, today it took me nearly 40 minutes," he said.