Ocado close to buying new warehouse site
AN online grocer based in Hatfield has confirmed it is close to agreeing a deal to build a new distribution centre in the Midlands.
Ocado, which is based on the Hatfield Business Park, is currently in negotiations to purchase a 35-acre site in the village of Dordon, in North Warwickshire.
If successful, the company would then build a �200m, 350,000 sq ft warehouse on the land, which would be capable of handling up to 200,000 orders a week.
It would also allow deliveries to be made throughout the north of England – currently Ocado can only deliver as far north as Yorkshire.
Once operational, the facility would employ around 2,000 staff.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Ocado confirmed that negotiations were ongoing and said it was hoped the sale would be agreed shortly.
He added that the company would comment further once the transaction had been completed.
- 1 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 2 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'
- 8 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 9 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 10 Hertsmere: 6,000 home development included in Local Plan
Founded in 2000, Ocado opened its Hatfield distribution centre in September 2002 and, since then, has gone on to become one of the UK’s leader internet retailers.
The company is expected to use the proceeds of its July flotation on the stock market to pay for the build of its new facility.
To date, Ocado has racked up total losses of almost �350m, mainly because of its investment in technology.
However, next year the firm predicts it will make a profit for the first time.