NHS dentistry available across Welwyn Hatfield
PUBLISHED: 13:44 28 January 2009 | UPDATED: 22:15 26 October 2009
GETTING an NHS dental appointment is about to get much easier. That is the message from the East and North Herts Primary Care Trust, which co-ordinates state dental provision across Times Territory. The NHS has been roundly criticised following the
GETTING an NHS dental appointment is about to get much easier.
That is the message from the East and North Herts Primary Care Trust, which co-ordinates state dental provision across Times Territory.
The NHS has been roundly criticised following the introduction of its new dental contract in 2006, which, some believe, has made it more difficult for people to access dental care.
But Jane Robinson, dental lead at the PCT, said: "It's a popular misconception that NHS dental appointments are rare - but that is simply not the case.
"In Hertfordshire there are 204 dental practices offering approximately 47,000 appointments every month.
"So there really are plenty of appointments out there."
To illustrate this, the PCT has launched a new helpline which residents can ring to find the nearest surgery to where they live or work that is offering NHS appointments.
A spokeswoman for the PCT said that eight surgeries in Welwyn Hatfield are currently accepting new NHS patients - they are:
* Welham Green Dental Surgery - 168 Dixons Hill Road, Welham Green,
* Mr T Sher & Associates - 24 Highview, Hatfield, AL10 8HZ
* Hatfield Dental Centre - 28-30 Market Place, Hatfield, AL10 OLN
* Birchwood Dental Practice - 7 Birchwood Ave, Hatfield, AL10 OPL
* Church Road Dental Practice - 4A Church Road, WGC, AL8 6NE
* Peartree Lane Surgery - 43 Peartree Lane, WGC, AL7 3UA
* Woodhall Dental Practice - 33 Cole Green Lane, WGC, AL7 3PP
* Ivory Dental Clinic - 10 Fretherne Chambers, WGC, AL8 6NY
The WHT called each practice to check this and, at the time of writing, we can confirm that it is accurate.
To check the availability of dental care near you, call the PCT on 01707 369645, or